Originally I ran for City Council because of my community involvment:
- President, Friends of Dicken Woods
- Founder, South Maple Group
- Co-founder, Neighborhood Alliance
- Supporter of Parkland Preservation (Huron Hills Golf Course)
- I ran because I believe Ward 4 residents deserve responsive leadership.
On our City Council:
- I have listened carefully to the concerns of Ward 4 residents.
- I am accessible and responsive.
- I treat all residents and all points of view with courtesy and respect. I don’t think a neighborhood should have to submit a petition to the City Council just to get their elected representatives interested in resolving neighborhood problems. Elected officials need to be responsive to the interests of City residents.
I support zoning rules that result in sensible development, that respects the character of the surrounding neighborhood.
I have emphasized the maintenance of our essential infrastructure and basic services.
After a decade of neglecting the maintenance of our streets, the City has now developed and is implementing a plan to restore our streets.
We experience storm water flooding problems in the Fourth Ward. The City has begun to address those problems. We will need to insiist that our storm water solutions receive adequate funding in the coming years.
I have consistently supported adding funding to our safety services.
I regularly seek to add police officers to allow for proactive policing, including traffic enforcement and downtown beat officers.
I supported funding a study to assess the adequacy of our fire stations and the staffing needed in each station.
I have worked closely with pedestrian safety advocates to improve safety around our schools. Those efforts will need continued commitment.
I support the creation of the Ann Arbor Greenway because it will become an important pedestrian and bicycle link, a valuable open space and will encourage economic development.
I have consistently supported protection of our parkland.
I opposed the use of riverfront parkland as a site for a new Amtrak station. I supported the creation of new downtown parks and open space.